Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Back to the Blog

The holidays have come and gone, and I find myself sitting in a new house, in a new state, in the middle of the summer. My external hard drive, filled with photos from the last eight months, seems to be the only proof I have that time travel doesn't exist (yet). 

There have been so many photos and blog entries swirling around in my head, and yet nothing seemed to be coming out of the keyboard. I keep getting stuck on one very important entry. The one I've been putting off ... the one I am typing now. 

I often used Skype to 'visit' Nana and talk to her. The last time we spoke, she told me I made the best eggplant parmesan in the world, and that she was 100% supportive of my husband and I moving to Arkansas to follow a new opportunity. 

January 16: I rushed to my parents house to book the last tickets on a flight to Orlando, hoping the snow storm wouldn't delay their arrival to Florida. I booked mine for the next morning, and helped them scramble out the door. They were by Nana's side at 6:30, and she passed around three hours later. 

I missed my Nana by 14 hours. 

But, you know? Life has a funny way of showing you what is most important. I was immediately enveloped into the arms of my family in Nana's kitchen. We laughed, cried, prayed and hugged. And I, of course, took pictures. 


Nana's last few months were spent surrounded by her family and friends. Just days before she had passed, she was out and about at the casino in Tampa. In fact, she seemed to have a stronger spirit about her - she was happy. 

July 26 would have been her birthday. It will also be the day I return home for the first time since I moved to join my family for our final goodbye to the woman to brought us all together. 

Rest in peace, Nana. I love you. 

- Spunky (the nickname she so appropriately gave me as a child)

1 comment:

  1. I love your drawings and have been silently following. What kind of ink do you use for your drawings? And do you ink before or after you watercolor?